Wednesday, November 2, 2011

No putty? No problem!

Because I'm constantly re-arranging artwork and accessories I'm regularly filling nail holes around the house. I'm sure we've got a big bucket of putty somewhere (hubby used to be a professional painter), but I can never find it when I need it. So I've got a couple of solutions that work just as well that you can use in a pinch!

A day or two before you want to fill the nail holes, put a small amount of your wall paint (about 1/4 cup) into a small seal-able plastic container. Leave the lid cracked a bit so a small amount of air can get in. In 24-48 hours the paint turns into a thick paste, almost the consistency of spackle.


Then just use a putty knife (or your finger) to fill the holes. As soon as it dries you're ready to go! I like this method because it eliminates having to putty and let it dry completely before painting. I need instant gratification!


Another very simple solution to filling nail holes: toothpaste! As long as it's the paste type and not the gel, you can use it to fill in holes just like putty. White toothpaste is best, but in a pinch you can use green. Fill the holes, let it dry, then paint!


I hope these simple tips help, and happy decorating!

No comments:

Post a Comment